Monday, August 14, 2017

Kiwanis Kitones in 1996

My Kiwanis file has been reduced from about 2 feet to 4 inches. It went back to when I joined the Lincoln Center Club in 1986 and included current material. In the fall of '89, I took a job in Ankeny, IA and dropped the Lincoln Club Membership. We returned home and I joined the Kiwanis Club of Seward in the Spring of 1992 and continue to be an active member.  
Kiwanis has been a significant part of my life during these nearly 30 years. The Lincoln Club had well over 100 members and included many of the "movers & shakers" of the City. The Seward Club has also grown to flirt with membership of 100. Our current membership includes a good representation of people from throughout the community with great representation from Concordia University. 
The Kitones were a definite factor in my decision to join the Seward Club. I bought my Jacket and sang with the group after having only been to a couple weekly practice sessions. Dr. Harry Giesselmann led the group with his wife Lois serving as accompanist. One of my Highlights in Kiwanis was singing with the Kitones at the Kiwanis International Meeting in 1996 in Salt Lake City. The picture above is of the Kitones at that time.  Our leader, Harry was a friend of the Assistant Director of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. They arraigned for us to set-in at the Choir practice session and had reserved seats for us at the Sunday Morning telecast.  
Elaine and I drove out early and were able to visit several National Parks in southern Utah including: Arches, Natural Bridges, Bryce Canyon, Zion as well as the glen Canyon Dam and Lake Powell ahead of the Meeting. Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. was a luncheon speaker and I was able to have a personal conversation with him about environmental matters. We spent some time with Don and Jackie Armstrong who were living in Salt Lake City at the time. All-in-all it was a wonderful experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment