Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Joe DiMaggio Baseball Glove

This old Joe DiMaggio baseball glove of mine is one of the rare finds during the cleaning out process, that I thought was "long gone". As recently as Monday, I pulled out a box in our lower level storage area that I hoped may contain the glove but it didn't. I had accepted the fact that it was gone and this morning, Verlon brought down a box from the attic that had my glove, shoes and other equipment. I came back out to play in an "old timers game" at Garland after we moved to Lincoln in 1958 which is the last time the glove was ever used. I have done nothing to "clean it up" so it's just the way it came out of the box. There is a rip in the seam that separates the thumb from the fingers which I remembered. I used it in playing CF for Seward in 1953,  their last year in the Cornhusker League. I bought it from Norm Neujahr some years earlier. 
Tim, Laura and family were back here for the Vrana family reunion and before they left to dive back to Indiana, I suggested that he go through my Baseball books and take the ones he would like. Among them was this 2 volume set of Joe DiMaggio which included this picture of his glove that is in the Baseball Hall of Fame at Cooperstown, N.Y. When I scanned it less than a Month ago, I didn't really expect to ever see my "model" of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment