Sunday, September 25, 2016

Seward HS Girls Basketball Dynasty

While cleaning out old files, I came across this newspaper clipping of the Seward High School Girls Basketball team celebrating their 49th consecutive victory by defeating Omaha Scutt and the chance to play Gretna the next day for the State Championship. The next picture shows the “first team” waiting on the bench, for the final horn, to celebrate their second Class B State Title and their 50th consecutive victory. I was among a group of “Old Guys” that had seen all the home games during their “streak” and didn't miss any of the State Tournament games. While I didn't save clippings from all of their continuing victories, I recorded their streak in my daily journal. On March 5, 2011, they beat Elkhorn to win their 3rd consecutive State Championship and their 75 straight game. They extended their winning streak to 101 and another State Title by beating Beatrice on March 4, 2012. Their 4th consecutive Championship may have been the sweetest of all since it was won by several of the players who had never lost a game. It was also evident that it would be doubtful if they could continue the streak through another season. They opened the 2012-13 season with 3 victories but on 12/7/12, with the streak at 104, they lost to Lincoln Pius X 40-38 on a last second shot. The streak was over and us “Old Guys” acknowledged that we had enjoyed a “once in a lifetime dynasty”. It is ironic that I participated in my last City Council Meeting on 12/4/12 after serving for 12 years. Charley and I had played golf that afternoon (my 217th, 9-hole round of the season) but the weather turned bad, other factors came into play, and I never played golf regularly again. It was the end of a era, but Great- Grandchildren have helped fill the void.

No comments:

Post a Comment