Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Thad Weber, Toronto Blue Jays

We had the pleasure of Thad Weber, Toronto Blue Jay's pitcher, joining us for coffee this morning. Thad is from Friend, NE, has a BS degree in Biology from UN-L and pitched for the Huskers during his college days. He was drafted by Detroit, traded to the San Diego Padres and then went to the Blue Jays. He pitched for the Buffalo Triple-A team before being called up in mid-season. His last game was in late August when the Blue Jays were in Yankee Stadium and he pitched 2 innings in relief. He said it was a thrill pitching there and also being able to watch Mariano Rivera pitch. Thad has developed a "cutter" which has added to his arsenal of pitches. I knew he was going to be with us this morning so took my Cooperstown Baseball along and had him show me how to grip and throw a cutter. He says it doesn't move more than 4-5 inches but looks like a fast ball and makes the move just a few feet from the batter. One of the fellows that coffee's with us occasionally is a retired school Principal who lives in Friend. He has known the Weber family over the years and was instrumental in our getting to meet him. Thad is married with a 5-year old daughter and 3-year old son. They are expecting another addition in the very near future. Thad says while Friend is their home base, his family has been with him during his years in professional baseball. I had him autograph the Toronto story in my Baseball Book that tells of Tim and I attending a game there in 1993. Having an active Major League Baseball Pitcher show me how to throw a "Cutter" wasn't on my "Bucket List" but will be among my special memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment