Saturday, October 12, 2013

Write Stuff

There was an interesting article in this morning's Lincoln Journal Star on, "Write Stuff". Several "journal-keepers" are quoted and tell of relief and motivation with daily writing. Psychologists are quoted as indicating that writing can have a beneficial effect on mental health. Some people "Journal" to record everything they consume as a method of reducing weight. Others write about intimate details and insist that their Journals be destroyed. My main reason for having kept 5-year Diaries for 35 years and annual Journals (Standard Diary as shown) for many, many years  has been to "keep track of things". I don't write things that I would not want my wife or kids to see. Over the years we have gone back and briefly identified the date when significant events occurred. This listing is called, "Highlights" and filed in a 3-ring binder. These highlight items probably average about 20/month and are accessed often when we question when something happened. Once we get a date for a happening, we can go into the Journal and get more details. Often there will be something written that will trigger further memories. I had just started my 2nd, 5-year Diary when I started to work for the USDA Soil Conservation Service.  In those days each of us "Field Employees" were issued little "shirt pocket" notebooks where we were required to keep track of which farmers we worked with and what we accomplished. These records supported our monthly accomplishment reports and were subject to review by "auditors".  While my personal "Journaling" of what happened is not necessary to justify my actions, it's an extension of my memory and relieves the frustration of not knowing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment