Monday, October 28, 2013

Sadie, Julie and Old Times

We got out to see Julie and Sadie this afternoon. I was surprised that Julie had on a Nebraska sweat-shirt after Saturday's performance but Sadie liked it. She was telling us, "Bye" here and can say it just about as well as I can. She enjoys playing and eating Cheerios and even fed me some. I think she will learn to count by playing with them; her lessons are already underway. She wanted her milk cup out of the refrigerator and I was able to get it for her. It is a special little plastic cup that she can drink out of a little spout but it won't leak out of it. Many improvements have been made since we had kids. It was a busy day with Elaine's brother Dale out for a funeral and stopping by to visit. He brought out a box of old newspapers which also help one  realize how much change has taken place since we had toddlers. In 1950 the Lincoln Star published a 2 column listing on the front page of College football and Major League baseball scores. Football scores were listed by quarter and baseball by inning. Eddie Lopat pitched an 8-0 shutout for the Yankees against the Red Sox with Yogi Berra catching. I was curious as to what we were doing on that September 23 date in 1950 so checked it out in my Diary.  I had written, "Got up at 6:00. I fed Verlon (He was about 5 weeks old) while Elaine got breakfast. We were done washing by 9:00. I got the door latch fixed down at Tobin's. The five lots north of St. Johns school were sold for $3,760. I worked on District books. Verlon back on S.M.A." (after not getting along with evaporated milk). The next evening we took the "baby" out to Flowerday's and went to a Dance in Bee where the Charlie Kucera Orchestra played. Those were the Days.

No comments:

Post a Comment