Wednesday, December 12, 2012

This is the sale bill for selling the old Vrana farm and the house in Bee where Grandpa and Grandma lived for a number of years. Grandpa died in 1950 and after Grandma died in June of 1960, their property was sold to settle the estate. The Grandparents bought and moved to the place in 1903 when my Dad was 6 years old. After my folks were married, they lived in Seward for a number of years but moved out to the farm in February of 1932. I was 6 years old at the time, sister Vivian was 8 and Donnie was 2. It was where I "grew-up" and learned to appreciate nature. My folks moved on and when Don and Gladys were married in 1950 they farmed and lived on the place. Following them, Vivian and Eddie lived there. It was a place for which  the whole family had a deep affection; strengthened not only by the good times associated with it but also the bad. We were living in Lincoln at the time of the Auction. I had already worked for 12 years with the USDA Soil Conservation Service and was taking courses at UN-L. Uncle Joe was working as a janitor in the building where I had Chemistry Lab and we talked about the sale on the date that it was held. My folks bought it at the  auction for $18,100. but became concerned when interest rates were to be 6%. They let the Wagenknechts have it who owned land adjoining and were the next highest bidders. The folks were both over 60 and after having lived through the 30's made a wise decision, though I know Dad hated to give it up. While Dad continued to farm and raise cattle until he was 75, this wasn't the kind of place where he could have done so. We still drive out to see the old place at least once a year and it will always be, "The Old Home Place"

No comments:

Post a Comment