Thursday, December 27, 2012

Amazon

This is the type of Journal (Diary) that I have kept for the past several years. They are not available here in Seward so I've been getting them at Office Max in Lincoln. We don't get to Lincoln very often and our snow storm came the day we were planning to go. Carolyn was down today and I asked if she might be going and could get one for me. She uses Amazon quite a bit and within a few minutes had one ordered. Not only was it convenient with free shipping but about 20% less expensive than in Lincoln. I watched some TV coverage of an Amazon merchandise center processing orders before Christmas which was most interesting. Though I have had my on-going medical prescriptions filled on-line, we have never made many purchases. I hear that the percentage of on-line shopping for Christmas has continued to increase and has reached something like 19%. Merchandising has come a long way from the days of the small town merchants supplying our basic needs. As a kid we did order some things from the Sears Roebuck catalogue. I remember one year when I was about 11 or 12, Mother told Vivian, Don and me that we each could pick out anything we wanted from the catalogue as long as it didn't cost more than $1.00. 

No comments:

Post a Comment