Monday, December 10, 2012

Buddy Boy

"
I was 6 months old and weighed 25 pounds when this picture was taken. My hair was about as thin then as it is now which is the closest comparison. Mother said I was tied into the chair to keep me from falling out, but it doesn't show under my dress. Mother was Superintendent of the Cradle Roll when I was baptized in the Seward Methodist Episcopal Church as a baby and her signature is on my certificate. One of my Lodge friends tells me that he also has Mother's name on his certificate. My weight can be attributed to Goat's Milk. As a baby I couldn't handle Mother's nursing or cow's milk and the Doctor suggested the Goat. As the story goes, Dad drove he old Model T over to Aurora and paid $60.00 for a Nubian Nanny that had just "come fresh". It all worked out O.K. and from that "humble beginning" we had goats for the next 15 years. (There must be more to the story than I was aware of as a Kid (No Pun Intended) It is almost apparent in the picture that I had inherited the "Vrana Gene" which causes one to "speak-up" if something bothers them rather than let it "fester". I did that very thing in that very same Methodist Church Annual all member meeting tonight. We are tending toward what is called "Conventional Services" with what I call "Honky-Tonk Piano", Drums, etc.  I made a case for the Dignity and Atmosphere established by our pipe organ. I didn't get any applause but several people expressed agreement. At least I spoke my peace and will get a good night"s sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment