Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Christmas Letter

Elaine has set my Golfing Santa Clause on top of the TV that I have near my PC down in the basement. It is supposed to remind me of the need to get a Christmas Letter drafted but so far it hasn't worked. It does remind me that the golfing season has probably come to an end. Brother Don tells me that he reached and exceeded his goal of 2,500 holes this year. My goal was to play 200 9-hole rounds. I exceeded that by playing 217 which amounts to 1,953 holes.It made me realize just how much golfing Don got in. The "centerpiece" of our Christmas letter will be about our first Great Granddaughter, Sadie. She was in for a check-up and shots yesterday morning. She now weighs 13 lbs. 3 oz. and is 25" long. Travel is often easy to write about in Christmas letters but I'm not sure how much interest there will be in our trip down to Syracuse for the Auction or to Beaver Crossing to visit the Hardware store. That is as far as we got away from home this  year. My Grandfather Walker used to tell that he hardly ever got out of Seward County but that didn't keep him from living a pretty full life. While that was before the days of television he read a lot and enjoyed some "learned" card playing companions in his senior years. During my early years with SCS when our Office was in the NE corner of the first floor of the Courthouse, I would see him walking past every evening just before 5:00pm. He was walking home with his cane from the "Pool Hall" to his little house which was only a couple blocks away. While he and I spent quite a bit of 2-person time when I was a kid, I don't recall any very serious conversation after I was older. There was so much he could have told me about Seward's history if only I would have given him the opportunity.


No comments:

Post a Comment