Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Demise of an Old Building

This old Seward HS building dates back to the early 1900's. It is where my Mother went through the 9th and 10th grades. A new HS was build in 1919 and that is from where Elaine graduated in 1947. Another new HS was built in the '60's and extensively remodeled in about 2000. However, through all of the change, the old HS building remained. I took my 1st grade classes in the lower level of the building until we moved to the new elementary building in January 1932. Over the years this building was used as a Band Building and for other uses. Its top-story was removed some years ago. And, now along with what has been known as the "Middle School Complex", has been sold and much of it will be demolished, including this building. Pictures like this are so  important in helping future generations appreciate our history.

1 comment:

  1. I never realized that building had been the high school! It was such a pretty building--I wonder why they took the top off . . . By the way, I checked with my resident Seward High grad--he says the "new" high school was finished in the fall of '62. It was a 10-12 grade building at the time. His class was the first to go all three years there (and graduate in 1966).

    ReplyDelete