Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Fisherman

This piece of Art probably doesn't have a great deal of value to very many people. In fact, it was "appraised" at a public auction yesterday and I was the only bidder. I bought it for $1.00. But what made it attractive to me was that it was part of an Estate Auction, and we had know John and Jane for many years. They were great people and this item was unique enough to become a "keepsake". I got the "rest of the story" from David, their son, who told of his folks having brought this 12"x22" wooden, hand carved art piece home from Yugoslavia many years ago. John had an upstairs office in the Seward downtown business district from where he managed the family business. David said this item hung in that office and at one time, had  "confidential" information pasted to its back. John was  one of the early Soil Conservation District Cooperators at the time I went to work for the USDA SCS back in the spring of 1948. He was always a pleasure to work with and dedicated to the sustainability of our natural resources. The plaque can be interpreted to symbolize the sustainability of : "...teach a man to fish and he will never go hungry". I have displayed it in a place that I walk past every day and will be inspired by its message.

No comments:

Post a Comment