Saturday, February 9, 2019

One Ship Sails East...

We don't subscribe to "The Week" magazine but exchange our "Time" for it with friends here at Brookdale. In going through this 2/1/19 issue this evening, I came across a quote in the "Wit & Wisdom" section, that caught my eye. It was by Entrepreneur Jim Rohn, quoted in the New Philadelphia, Ohio, Times Reporter as follows: "It is the set of the sails, not the direction of the wind, that determines which way we will go". It was obvious to me that the quote was from the same poem that I used frequently in motivational messages to employees when I was Director of Personnel for the USDA Soil Conservation Service back in the '70's. A bit of internet research indicated that it was written by American Author, Ella Wheeler Wilcox (1850-1919) and listed as: "One ship sails east and another west With the self same winds that blow. 'Tis the set of the sail and not the gale Which  determines the way they go. As the winds of the sea are the ways of fate, As we voyage along through life. 'Tis the act of the soul that determines the goal and not the calm or the strife." I may have used a couple different words but it was basically the way I ended many presentations.

No comments:

Post a Comment