Saturday, May 2, 2020

May Day

(I didn't get this published last night, will try this morning.) We found two of these little "May baskets" at our entry way this morning. A nice way to welcome in the new Month of May. It even contains some chocolates as well as a little "sucker". Withe the world in it's Pandemic state we can use any and all of the cheerfulness that comes our way. I was introduced to May Baskets along with sister Vivian when we lived here in Seward before moving out to the farm in 1932. I clearly remember working with Mother and Vivian in making little square boxes about 3 inches on 1 side, adding some flowers and a few Jelly Beans and taking them to the neighbor houses doorstep. That was just another of the many things that changed as we moved out to the Vrana farm. I don't know if any of the 30+ kids there ever made a May Basket but it was one more thing that made me a "town kid" and not one of them. It wasn't until I got started playing softball with Art Schaefer that I began to be accepted for who I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment