Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Doris Kearns Goodwin FDR 1940-'45

Carolyn got this book on Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt for me from the Seward Memorial Library Today. It is the story of them during the 1940-1945 period and written by Doris Kearns Goodwin. It includes over 636 pages of rather small print so I don't know if I will make it through or not. My current interest in "The Roosevelts" was stimulated by the recent PBS showing of the Ken Burns film on the subject. I have only read 25 pages so far but have already gained insight on his relationship with Miss Lucy Mercer when she was Eleanor's Social Secutary and Franklin was a young Assistant Secretary of the Navy. The affair became public when Eleanor discovered a packet of letters that Lucy had written to Franklin. (This was prior to his being stricken with Polio). So I have already learned that Franklin and Lucy had a publicly acknowledged affair. At the time of FDR's death at Warm Springs, Georgia, it is my memory that Lucy was with him and that upset Eleanor. I have visited the little White House in Warm Springs as well as the Roosevelt Mansion at Hyde Park when comments were made by tour directors concerning FDR's relationships. I don't know if I will learn "the truth" or not, but I hope so. I'll bet Ken Burns knows the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment