Thursday, May 21, 2020

FDR April 12, 1945

This is a continuation of yesterdays blog page which I closed  out with some question. I discovered that Lucy Mercer with whom FDR had an affair prior to his Polio in 1918 while serving as Assistant Secretary of the Navy, is the same person as Lucy Rutherfurd who was among those with him at the Little White House in Warm Springs, GA when FDR died on April 12,1945. Anna, the Presidents oldest daughter and his peraonl Secretary was criticized  by Eleanor and others for her role in keeping her visits to Warm Springs secret information. She justified her actions on the basis that Lucy was able to brighten his final days. After "the dust settled a bit" Lucy wrote to Anna and concluding with: "'My love to your husband--and to you--Anna Darling, because you are his child & because you are yourself. I am very devoted and with heartbroken sympathy. Lucy Rutherfurd".
I pulled out my 1st (of 7,  5-year diaries) before switching to annual Journal Diaries, and found my entry of 4/12/1945 in which I noted "Roosevelt Died".  I had been disking at a rental farm and while pulling in the yard that evening, Vivian hollered to me that FDR had died. ( I would love to see the final chapter of the Kens Burns, "The Rosevelts" to see how it was shown.)
























m

No comments:

Post a Comment