Thursday, June 13, 2019

Concordia History

Jerry Pfabe presented a program at Brookdale this afternoon on "The History of Concordia". We had company so I missed the first few minutes but picked up on the pre-WWI time frame. Concordia University, Nebraska is a private, coeducational university in Seward, Nebraska, established in 1894. It is affiliated with the Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod as one of its nine schools in the Concordia University System. Jerry broke his presentation down to segments of about 20 years. The large audience included many individuals who had been a part of the facility. My personal relationship is somewhat unique with Concordia being the first College I attended and the last. In the spring of 1949 while living at home with our folks on a farm 10 miles north of Seward, my school teacher sister needed a course to keep her qualifications current. With it being a blizzardy winter, she asked me to accompany her as we drove in for night classes. I took a 3-hour geography of South America course under Dr. Helwiege. Received credit and transferred it later to the University of Nebraska and subsequently to George Washington University where I received a BA and MBA. Years later and in retirement, a friend and I decided to take up the game of golf and signed up as Graduate Students to Audit Carl Everts' Beginning Golf  Course. We learned well and golf became a vital part of my retirement. Dr. Everts is in the Independent Living area with his wife and participated in the Dr. Pfabe presentation this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment