Saturday, July 7, 2018

Smiley Water Gardens

This 1931 picture was taken at the Smiley Water Gardens in Beaver Crossing. Earle Smiley was an aviator in WW I and continued to Barnstorm after the war. When I was about the age as shown in the picture, he flew his small plane over our home in Seward and it was the first airplane I'd ever seen in flight. He developed the Water Gardens in Beaver Crossing with Flowing Well water. And, produced and sold Water Lilies all over the world. Some years ago, I was able to buy one of his  Catalogues on E-bay which I passed on to his daughter Marilyn. His family has financed a tribute display for him in the Nebraska National Guard Museum in Seward.  Brookdale has scheduled a bus ride to Beaver Crossing this coming Saturday afternoon. We plan to participate. I hope some of the folks from Beaver Crossing that live here will be going too. They may know a lot more about the Smiley Water Gardens than I do.







No comments:

Post a Comment