Monday, July 30, 2018

Major League Baseball Parks

In visiting with one of my Kiwanis friends this noon, he told me of having recently worked with a lady who is interested in the challenge of seeing Major League Baseball games in each of the 30 ballparks. He gave he my name, told her of having seen my “book” and suggested she may wish to get in touch with me. I was somewhat flattered by the possibility of passing on “my story” to anyone. Then this evening in visiting with Carolyn, she told of having seen a PBS program recently on the very subject. It seems that it has become an interesting challenge for young people. Tour companies have put together packages to help people meet the challenge. Like many goals, though once achieved, old ballparks are demolished and new ones built. I have achieved the goal of seeing games in all 30 of the current parks on 3 occasions only to now be “out-of-date” when the Atlanta Braves moved into their new stadium. Son Tim flew me down to Miami in April of 2015 to see the Marlins new park. I retain my “stories” on the parks that have been replaced or the teams moved on and there are 21 of them. My first game was seeing the St. Louis Cardinals play the Chicago Cubs in Wrigley Field on September 24, 1948. We have also visited several of the Presidential Libraries and a number of our National Parks, but not with the goal of seeing all of them. This was Turner field in Atlanta on 4/24/02 and we had seen a game in the old Fulton County Stadium on 4/12/88. I have seen games in 3 of the St.  Louis Cardinals ballparks.

No comments:

Post a Comment