Friday, January 26, 2018

Journal of Soil and Water Conservation

My copy of the January/February 2018 issue of the Journal of Soil and Water Conservation came in the mail this week.  The Journal is a "refereed" technical publication of the Soil and Water Conservation Society. This issue is Volume 73, Number 1 which dates back to the Society's founding by Hugh H. Bennett back in 1946. I have been a member of the Society for many years, have a lifetime membership and served as the Executive Vice-President (CEO) from 1989 through 1991 at the Headquarters location near Ankeny, Iowa. The Journal still includes a small section of more popular articles in addition to its hallmark technical ones. For many years I collected the Journals from my over 50 years as a member and do still have the ones published while I was CEO. At one time Concordia University was happy to add each year of Journals to their Library (Elaine's copies). I write this as another example of how  things "come and go" during the course of our lives. I will always retain my interest in soil and water conservation but no longer feel the need to read in detail about "The utilization of edge-of-field monitoring of agricultural runoff in addressing non-point source pollution". Our move to Brookdale has taught us the need to dispose of many things that are not part of our daily life. This current issue of the Journal becoming part of tomorrow  mornings garbage isn't as surprising as is the number of years that I kept many such things without ever referring to them.   

No comments:

Post a Comment