Saturday, January 20, 2018

Hank Williams, Dover, TN Poster

This is a Hank Williams poster sold on our December Auction. It was bought by Larry who called last evening to tell of his efforts to learn more about it. He has talked to people down in Dover, TN, where Williams was scheduled to perform on May 12, 1952. According to local people, he was a "no show" and unable to find a reason other than that he died about a year later. He was able to talk to a lady who has a tavern in Dover with this poster hanging on the wall. She had obtained it through eBay and wouldn't reveal its cost. It appears that there were never very many printed and their availability is definitely limited. While it appeared that he paid a healthy price for it, it seems that he may have gotten a bargain. He is certainly very pleased with it which makes us feel good about it, too. My Brother Don was a guest Auctioneer at our Auction and had the good fortune of selling this poster as well as others. One of his daughters was able to get a picture of his selling it with the poster  being held up for a clear view. That picture may become as valuable to our family as the Hank Williams poster. Julie and I are in the foreground with red cap.
I had 2nd thoughts and decided to add this picture as well since it was already referred to. What I haven't written about is son Jon's comment when he and Anna were here recently. When told of how well this poster and others sold, his comment was: "Dad!!!, You sold My Posters".  I honestly didn't know where they came from but assumed I'd picked them up along the way. Jon went on to admit that he too had no memory of where, when or how this Hank Williams poster came into his possession and got stored in a box at our house. It was probably there from when Jon's lived in the house for a relatively short time while we were in Ankeny, IA.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tony...I have this poster and it looks real to me....I have been collecting posters for years. Is there any tips to authenticating this.
    My email is bigfatjingles69@gmail.com I could also talk on phone.It online right now at ebay

    Respectfully...Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this exact poster in excellent condition. I'm trying to figure out the value of it so I can sell it. Can you help me?

    ReplyDelete