Thursday, January 4, 2018

Change is Inevitable

(This was written by son Jon.)It is said that the only thing constant in this world is change. That nothing stays the same. This saying seems to ring truer and truer the more years that one accumulates. I have had the honor of witnessing history at three score and three years. I’ve witnessed the first satellite in space, the first man to land on the moon, and the first U.S. President to resign. I even had multiple opportunities to be in the audience at the White House when President Nixon welcomed German and Ethiopian leaders. I’ve known all but the first two Chiefs of my agency, the Natural Resources Conservation Service (formerly the Soil Conservation Service). I’ve personally witnessed more than 40 years of change in the NRCS, going from pen and paper to iPhone and texting.

This week I had the opportunity to witness more change. My folks have made the very successful transition from a home of nearly 40 years to a wonderful, new home. It provides a real opportunity to simplify life, but with that simplification comes downsizing. For some time, they have been going through the downsizing process. I feel lucky to have the opportunity to experience and assist in that effort this week. Despite cold, sub-zero weather at times (hey, the wind wasn’t blowing!!), we have nearly completed the effort that was begun some months ago, thanks in large part to my sister who lugged many a heavy box up the stairs and out to the car.

The living and dining rooms are nearly empty now in the old house, but the new home is warm and cozy and welcoming to a friend that just might be dropping by. It’s time for old memories to be boxed up and new memories to be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment