Saturday, August 24, 2013

Maximizing Energy

When one realizes their strength and energy have diminished due to advancing age, they begin to look for ways to compensate. Even though they may be able to do the task at hand, the look for, and try little techniques that may be necessary as time goes on. One such example is demonstrated in this picture. Our lawn mower's Briggs and Stratton engine, is started with a pull cord. Our driveway has a slight incline and quite by accident, I discovered that it could help me start the engine. Now when I bring it out of the garage, fill the tank with gas, check the oil and push the "prime button", I set the accelerator, turn the mower to roll "downhill" as I pull the cord. It's about a 50-50 split between the energy provided by the mower rolling forward and my pulling the cord. It usually starts on the first pull, but if not, I pull it back and try again. It worked this morning, and Elaine and I mowed all of our lawn. She helped on the back yard by trading off on the pushing. We catch the clippings and put them on the compost pile. I have also learned that it is easier to dump them on a "ripped open" burlap bag and then dump them in the compost enclosure than it is to dump them directly from the "catcher". So far, the best compensation for declining ability, that I have found, is Elaine's help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment