Saturday, December 31, 2011

Karen's Calendar

Today I'm forwarding a letter from a Farm Wife/Tire Store Manager from western Nebraska who has been writing these weekly "Gems" for a number of years. I have been fortunate to be on her mailing list. She is able to describe with words the highs and lows of farming  that only a farmer could know. Enjoy Karen's look at the New Year.

My new 2012 calendar....that uncharted map for a journey we've yet to begin... sleeps on my kitchen counter, dreamlessly marking the passage of time until the ticking clock wakes it....and gives it relevance. 

Like the blank pages of a travel log its 365 days wait to be filled with scribbled stories of our family's every-day adventures, even the shortest of tales important because they, too, are mile markers on the road to our final destination.

I don't know where my 2012  journey will lead me; the simple truth is I find it difficult to believe I'm as old as I am......that I'm not still thirty with a new baby and a couple of toddlers clinging to my legs; the past seems a blur of years.

But as much as I'd like to stir up a batch of time and preserve it like tomatoes or green beans I have to face facts: time is a non-returnable gift. You can't exchange it, re-gift it, or get your money back. All you can do is spend it.

You'll soon have 365 days in your pocket...use them wisely.

Happy New Year and God bless you and yours.

As Always,

Karen


No comments:

Post a Comment