Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Friedens UCC Church

I attended a Memorial Service this morning at Friedens United Church of Christ here in Seward. It was for the wife of one of my long time friends who was part of our Coffee Klatch for the past 25 years. Jean had suffered with Alzheimer's disease for the past several years following an exemplary life. Norm is a long time Kiwanis member so we were all honored with special seating.  As I sat in the 2nd row pew and observed the beautifully decorated sanctuary it brought back many memories. It was before this altar that Elaine and I took our wedding vows those many years ago. It was here that I joined "Elaine's Church" and our four children were baptized. It was here that I sang in a quartet with Johnny, Keith and Freddie with Helen playing the piano. It was here that Elaine's Father and Mother's Memorial services were held as well as for many other friends and relatives. And, I realized how much this "humble edifice" means to me. Most facilities, places and things have changed over the past 50 years or are no longer here, but this Church, this Sanctuary, this Altar, have changed very little. It is with heart warming nostalgia I look back to that period 1949-1958 while we were members of this Church, to realize  those were some of the happiest years of my (our) life. And, the interesting thing is, I (we) didn't realize it at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment