Friday, April 8, 2011

Honyaks


 My golfing partner referred to the group behind us yesterday as a “bunch of Honyaks”. It was the first time I had heard the term for many years. But, I can distinctly remember my Dad using it. He would say such things as, “What are you Honyaks trying to do?” when my brother and I would be trying to teach a calf to let us ride. Or, “I wonder when those Honyaks are going to show up” when my Irish Uncles were to help us butcher. He might have even used the term to describe my brother when he was caught smoking a cigarette in the haymow when he was about 13 years old. It could be said that this picture of me holding Prince and Dan like I was afraid they were going to step on my toes, makes me look like a “Honyak”.  I don't think it was an extremly derogatory term, but it wasn't a complement either. 

1 comment:

  1. honyock - An immigrant to the United States from east-central Europe; A rube or simpleton; A hardscrabble farm (this usage known in parts of Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Alberta and Saskatchewan)
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/honyock

    Check out the link below - one definition is a cross between a hillbilly and a redneck, only a bit dumber.

    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=honyock

    ReplyDelete