Monday, February 19, 2018

Missed Kiwanis Meeting

I didn't go to Kiwanis this noon because of the ice on the streets and sidewalks. I don't know when the last time was that I missed a regular Monday noon meeting. In checking the Kiwanis folder on my laptop desktop, I came across this picture from the 2003 Installation of Officers. It is not only a neat picture but demonstrates the decline in formality of dress during these 15 years. While Jim might have gone a bit overboard with his bow tie, Sid's dress as incoming President, was very normal; even for a noontime installation. Today's ice probably would not have kept me inside a year ago but the move to Brookdale has made a difference.
The difference is not only in me but also the facilities. We were so very spoiled with our attached garage with remote door openers at the house. I started using my cane to go to Kiwanis a year ago in January and would not think of going without it now, even in ideal weather. Now our car is parked in the #4 garage which is one of 10 in the long, narrow building to the right side of the picture (close to 4th street). Our unit is part of the "Independent Living" area which is mainly in the lower section of the picture. The upper area is for "Assisted Living". Our Patio door is just below the "k" in the word Park at the center of the picture. When the weather was nice we would park in the lot shown and go through the Patio door. Since it is a sliding door, Elaine did some "winterizing" of it so we haven't been opening it. The distance between our unit and the garage is enough to be a factor in our use of the car even though I know the need for exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment