Thursday, February 8, 2018

Anniversary of My First Move

February 8 will always be a memorable date for me since it was on that day in 1932 that we moved from our house in Seward to the Joseph J. Vrana farm north of Garland. It meant giving up electricity and going to a one-room county school. While I have kept Daily Diaries and Journals since my 15th birthday except for the period 6/26/45-1/1/48, it was during that “gap” that we moved to the “Mak” farm north of Staplehurst. While the folks, Don, Janice, Jerry and Genie moved in the spring of 1947 to start farming the “Mak” place, Vivian and I stayed to continue farming the “Divis” and “Home” places. Elaine and I had our first date in October of '46; She graduated from Seward High School in May of '47 and came out with Dale for a picnic supper during the summer. Brother Genie died on November 18, 1947, and I know by that time Vivian and I had moved over with the folks and family. Elaine and I were married on June 5, 1949, had rented a furnished apartment on Lincoln Street here in Seward and moved in after the wedding. Verlon was born on August 17, 1950. We bought a little house on East Bradford on March 17, 1951, and moved in on May 1st. We lived in the little house at 334 E. Bradford during which time Timothy, Carolyn, and Jon were born. Needless to say, we “outgrew” the little house and bought a 5-bedroom house at 604 N. 5th St. in Seward and moved in on March 25, 1955. By 1958, my career with the USDA Soil Conservation Service, provided an opportunity for promotion, take college courses and work on Watershed Dam construction. We bought a house at 6515 Hartley St. in Lincoln on June 27th and moved in on the 29th with Dad's farm truck, our station wagon and family help.  (This is to be continued to further moves)

No comments:

Post a Comment