Saturday, February 24, 2018

Jon's Grandmother Memories


Son Jon sent the following "memories of his Grandmother"(My Mother) and asked that it be put on my blog page: 
"Years ago, far too many to remember, I have a memory of a wonderful lady. She lived on a farm with her husband, a hard-working couple. While he worked hard, day in and day out, putting up the hay in the barn, the corn in the corn crib, and the seed in the ground for the next crop, this lady kept the home spick and span, preparing lunch and taking it out to the men in the field, along with thermoses of coffee.
But what I particularly remember her for was her special cooking. For each of my birthdays, she always remembered that I loved angel food cake. My best memory of her efforts to cook my cakes was when she mixed the cake, poured it into the special angel food cake pan, and carefully placed it into the oven. We were careful not to make extra noise or open the oven door while the cake was baking, for fear that it would “fall.” It never did. Well, one day, not unlike any other day, she prepared the cake and put it in the oven, as I closely watched, with great love for my Grandmother. At the appropriate time, I am sure a small kitchen timer “dinged,” though I don’t remember that. She opened the oven, as I watched. To our surprise, the cake was twice the size of the pan. She and I had never seen such a thing. But it tasted wonderful and it was our luck that we had twice as much to eat as usual.

The cake wasn’t the only thing that she would stir up and the real reason for this blog. I was researching a new exhibit yesterday on the Great War, also known as World War I, in later days. War gardens and food conservation through drying and canning was an important contribution of the home front. In a ladies magazine of the times, I came across a recipe that I hadn’t thought about for decades – Popcorn Candy.
A long time ago, my grandmother would make us popcorn candy. Actually, a very simple recipe. One cup of syrup, 1 tablespoon of vinegar, and 2 to 3 quarts of popped popcorn. When you boil the syrup and add the vinegar, it seems that magic happens and the sugar changes. How, I can’t quite say, but then you pour the mixture over the popcorn and stir together with a spatula. Just like heaven to eat.
I try not to eat as much refined sugar these days, but after reading and writing about my grandmother’s special popcorn candy, I just might have to make some tonight.

Thank God for such sweet memories".

No comments:

Post a Comment