Thursday, September 28, 2017

Record Numbering

Stereo LP Phonograph records played a major role in our family entertainment during the '60's and '70's while the 4 kids were growing-up. I believe Tim may have been home from college when he began our numbering system to help find what we wanted to hear. When computers came along, we kept a numerical listing as the records were filed but also added categories of "Artist" and "Category". Our last up-date was 12/28/96. Our last numerical listing was #300, George Jones in the Country Western Category. Lawrence Welk playing the "Tinker Polka" was #1". We have accumulated many more since '96 ( mostly bought at auctions) that have not been numbered or listed, The full collection fills over 2 orange crates. This morning I reduced our shelf requirement to seven and a half inches from over 6 ft.
Acker Bilk playing "Stranger on the Shore" was one of my favorites. I remember playing that when we lived in the Fairlington Apartments. Eddie Arnold  singing "Make the World Go Away" was also an album that I pulled out as a "keeper".  Son Jon indicated his desire to have a number of the Polka records so I've sorted out as many for him as I've kept. Jon will remember our driving up to Maryland to hear Eddy Arnold in person. I  kept a Hank Snow record even though he wouldn't give Jon his autograph when we saw him at Fairfax High School.  We have the greatest number in the "Country & Western" category with "Polkas" coming in second.  Everything beyond what I've kept and the Polkas for Jon will go on the Auction unless there are further request.


No comments:

Post a Comment