Monday, September 11, 2017

Hugh Hammond Bennett Conservation Stamp

Some years ago I had the opportunity to buy some sheets of 50 U. S. Postal Service stamps of various Ag and Soil Conservation stamps. I framed them and have them hanging in the stairway of our house. Only recently in our cleaning out some of my old files, did I find the Blue folder which announces April 26, 1985 as the first date of issue of the Soil and Water Conservation USA 20 cent stamp. It was done "In Honor of Hugh Hammond Bennett, the Father of Soil Conservation, on the 50th Anniversary of the Soil Conservation Service." The folder contains a postmarked stamp from the Hugh Hammond Bennet Wadesboro, NC 28170. Our son Jon who has followed me as an employee of SCS/NRCS. has asked us to save any HHB memorabilia we find in our old files so this will certainly qualify. While the framed stamps are a lone item, we have 8 of the first day of issue packet.

No comments:

Post a Comment