Saturday, September 16, 2017

Cleaning Out

Our cleaning out brought to light this Omaha World-Herald "Midlands" magazine of February 11, 1990 with my picture of the front page. The "Conservation's Educator" was written a few months after my appointment as Executive Director of the International Soil and Water Conservation Society in Ankeny, Iowa. I had a very close working relationship with the OWH during the 80's while working for the State of Nebraska. Elaine and I commuted every couple weeks between Seward, NE and Ankeny during this time. T. L. Henion had been over to Ankeny to interview me so I was aware of the article going to be published but had no idea that my picture would be on the front page. Elaine and I were over in Iowa at a gas station when I first saw the picture and was very surprised. I asked the operator if I could buy it from him and he said, "No!, I've never seen anyone  before whose picture was on the front page before so I want to keep it." And, so did I and got several copies but I will get rid of all but one, unless the kids indicate interest in a copy.

2 comments:

  1. I still have a couple copies of that as well. Still saving them. Amazing what we run into when we start sorting things out. Sounds like you're making good progress with your cleaning out and sorting projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought that was a great picture of you! I still have my copy, but would hang on to another one. By the way, I finished the garage yesterday except for the golf things!

    ReplyDelete