Tuesday, January 28, 2014

State of the Union

The President's State of the Union has been a significant part of my life. Especially since our days in Washington when we in USDA were invited to suggest appropriate things that the President's speechwriter may consider. For years I took notes of the speech and didn't miss a word of the President's message. Tonight was an exception. We had already had a few clues on what President Obama might say but I had  the TV on and my camera ready. My picture was taken at 8:13 just as the President was giving the first sentence of his message. Our telephone rang just as I pushed the shutter, and it was son Tim calling. We hadn't talked for a couple weeks and had many things to discuss. In addition to family matters, we discussed Tim's High School basketball game announcing:  Duke, Creighton, Nebraska and NCAA basketball in general,  Social Security hearings, and even some mundane housekeeping chores. By the time we finished our conversation, I heard the President announce the name of the wounded solider, saw the ovation, and the speech was over. While this was a change, it was the most "enjoyable" State of the Union Message that I have never heard. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Carolyn stopped by this afternoon, Jon called on his way home from the train station, and then Tim's call. Three out of four is pretty good in one day. When you get to be our age, a phone call from one of our "kids" out trumps a Presidents speech every time. (I do think the response was impressive).

No comments:

Post a Comment