Friday, January 10, 2014

Historic Telephone Book

This is an old Telephone Book that dates back to the early 1900's. It lists the names, occupation and the 2 or 3 digit numbers for Nebraska customers. The  Independent Company covered much of SE Nebraska and extended over into Iowa, Missouri and Kansas. My Grandfather William H. Walker is listed in Seward as a "House Mover". I recall my Mother telling of there having 2 phones in the house while a young girl because of two companies operating in Seward. The 387 page book contains a Lincoln section which is "Operated by the Lincoln Telephone Company". There are 65 pages of individual customers and a 13 page listing of "Lincoln Classified Business Directory". I recognize the names of some of the businesses but don't see any of the chain stores listed to which we have become so accustomed.  F. H. Woods is listed in the book as President of this Independent Company, and I believe he or family may have later been connected with Lincoln T & T. I came into possession of it years ago at an Auction. There were still some of the "old guys" in our coffee group at that time who estimated it to have come from the 1907-1910 time period based on the listing of businesses. It is an interesting piece of memorabilia and I may contribute it to Seward's Historic Documents. I wonder if Jim McKee who writes historic stories in the Lincoln Journal Star has access to one.

No comments:

Post a Comment