Saturday, January 25, 2014

Documenting Change

This is a Post Card picture of the Seward, NE County Court House. It was probably taken about 25 years ago. I haven't checked the size of the tree but know that the flag pole on the dome was removed several years ago because of the pressure it was putting on the upper part of the dome. The landscape planting at the base of the building has since been replaced but I helped plant the Yew bushes back in the mid '50's that are shown. Our SCS office was on the 1st floor directly behind the monument. My desk was located so that I was able to look out of the lower-left window. I sang in a Church quartet with the County Judge who's office included the stairway to the dome. In the spring of 1952 he took me along with my 35mm camera up to the very top of the dome. I shot a roll of film from the little windows up there that don't show on this picture. These pictures  did a good job of "documenting" the businesses around the square at that time. In April 2003, my son-in-law and I went back up again and shot "follow-up" pictures. Changes had been made in the access; we had to pull ourselves up because of the bracing that had been installed. Screens had been put on the little windows to keep the pigeons out of the dome but we were able to open the screens and get some good shots. The comparison of the two sets of pictures is interesting. I know there are significant changes that have taken place around "the square"  in the past 11 years that would be interesting to document but that is not the only place where change has occurred, (Some of the 2003 pictures can be seen in my April 4, 2011 blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment