Friday, January 17, 2014

Meeting Notes in Shorthand Notebooks

At the time we were married, Elaine was proficient in taking short hand notes from dictation and transcribing them on her typewriter . So, I became familiar with "short hand notebooks" early on. When my career took us to Washington, D. C. and I was involved in administrative work, I began using such  notebooks in a binder to record my meeting notes. Over the years it became my trademark to carry the maroon binder with the notebook whenever I was in a meeting. I would identify the "event, date and record it on the front cover as shown. During our 18 years in D.C., I filled many notebooks and brought them back with us to Nebraska with the idea that I might have need for the information "someday". I continued to fill them during my years with NRC and during our time in Ankeny. I continued the process on into retirement and my involvement with many organizations. The notebook pictured has notes from a Soil and Water Conservation Society meeting at Biloxi, MS in August of '99 to an Ecoscape Planning meeting in Lincoln in April of 2000. There were several meetings in between. I still carry one but use it infrequently. Meanwhile, we had a couple boxes of notebooks in the basement. To continue with our "cleaning out" commitment, we checked at the Recycle center and found that we should separate the wire binder, cardboard and paper. Elaine and I got started on it yesterday and finished it today. They are in the trunk ready to go to Recycling tomorrow morning. I kept only the one pictured and the one in the binder in my brief case. Though it's been years since I've looked at any on them, within the next week something may come up and I'll wish I had them, but, I'll have my bound Diaries and Journals on which to rely. And, Elaine and I enjoyed working together for about 4 hours getting them ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment