Wednesday, January 15, 2014

My Old Briefcase

This Hazel briefcase was my "trademark" for a number of years and now it's in the garbage. It was probably over 25 years ago that I bought it at Latsch's in Lincoln. It was during the time that I worked at the Nebraska Natural Resources Commission in the State Office Building and I walked over during noon hour to buy it. It served me well, not only when we later went over to Ankeny, IA to work for SWCS but through our many travels. Since I retired, it has gone wherever we went. It was just the right size to carry through airports as we traveled to Europe and China. It went with us when we drove the pickup truck on our 6-week trip to Alaska and in our Motor Home when we spent time in Texas and elsewhere. It held my Daily Journal among other things, and I kept it next to my big chair in our living room. It was my "lap table" every night as I wrote in my journal.  It had a little "thumb sized" leather tab attached with a small ring to the zipper which I have removed. The ring also held 3 little multicolored woven ribbons that were made by Julie when she was in elementary school. I took them off to "keep". There are some things you just don't "throw away". I have a replacement which was given to me sometime back, but it will take me a while to get used to using. It's larger and just isn't as handy as this old one. If I write much more, I'm liable to go out in the garage and pull it out of the garbage can.

No comments:

Post a Comment