Sunday, January 12, 2014

April 1, 1984


This picture of Elaine, Carolyn and Julie was taken April 1, 1984. The girls were living with us as we maintained our house in Seward as well as the house at the farm. I was working at the Natural Resources Commission in Lincoln as well as farming. The Bee farm machinery auction was held the day before, and this is what I wrote in my Journal the day the picture was taken:
“Elaine and I got up at regular time and went to the farm right after breakfast. We got the JD running though it took a couple extra pulls on the starting engine. We took the log splitter off the JD and went to Bee to get machinery I bought yesterday. We loaded the “Crust Buster” in the pickup (It wasn't easy). Elaine drove the pickup and pulled the plow-she missed a corner on the way to the farm. I pulled the go-dig behind the JD. Elaine hurried to Church for a meeting on “Minutes for Missions”. I went back to Bee with the JD and got the disc. The bridges south of Bee are 18'wide so it was no problem. I hurried back to town where I cleaned up, shaved and we all went down to the Dandelion Inn for Portrait Setting at 12:50. We ate lunch there afterwards-good food-Debbie (Soucek) was our waitress. Called Dave Besse and went to look at Mrs. W's house at 3:00. The want $33,500. and we were surprised at its poor condition. I stopped off at the gun show at the Armory and bought a new 30-30 Winchester for $150.00. Elaine and I went back to the farm. Got pickup unloaded, machinery parked, truck and tractor put away and old pickup started and wood hauled in from west side of the shed. Carolyn got Runzas for supper. We went to Pla-mor for Al Grubneck's last dance there. He's retiring after 50 years-5,000 dances. Bought a tape. It rained all evening.” And to think this all happened on "April Fools Day".

No comments:

Post a Comment