Monday, November 25, 2013

The Set of the Sail

This picture of Elaine and I was taken back in the days when we lived in South Arlington, Virginia and I was the Director of Personnel for the USDA Soil Conservation Service. Our Agency had some 15,000 employees and I was frequently invited to speak at State All Employee Meetings and at the 4  Regional Training Centers. I  was able to tie these speaking engagements to other activities while at a location and took advantage of the opportunity to get acquainted with as many employees as possible. All Employee meetings at the State level were always enjoyable and I would give a "motivational type" message. On several occasions, I concluded the talk by quoting the last two verses of a poem written by Ella Wheeler Wilcox in 1916 and entitled: "'Tis the Set of the Sail".
"One ship sails east, another west by the self same winds that blow. It's the set of the sail and not the gale that determines the way they go. Like the winds of the sea are the waves of time, as we journey along through life, 'Tis the set of the soul, that determines the goal, and not the calm or the strife." 

No comments:

Post a Comment