Friday, November 15, 2013

Benefits of Soil Conservation

This is the scan of a pamphlet that Elaine's brother Dale gave us recently as he sorted old files in preparation for a move. It  brought back memories of my introduction to "Soil Conservation" in the late '40's. I believe it was in the spring of '47 that Dale & Elaine came over one Sunday evening to visit with Vivian and I who were still living at the old farm though the rest of the family had moved on over to the "Mak" farm. Dale had been building terraces for the Soil Conservation District and brought along several pamphlets on the subject of soil conservation. I believe one of them was a copy of the one scanned. Whatever it was that Dale may have told or gave me to read, he made a believer of and we had contour lines laid out. I remember listing corn on the contour in the field northwest of the house the very night that Elaine had a date with a classmate for their Jr-Sr. Banquet. Though we had only been dating for a few months, it bothered me to think she was out with this "other fella". Not only that, it was much more difficult planting corn by following a curved line around the hill. Little did I know at the time that Elaine would become my faithful wife and that I would spend my working career in Soil and Water Conservation activities. We analyze many factors in making some decisions and yet others are made by what "just seems right". Could "Divine Intervention" be involved???

No comments:

Post a Comment