Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgivings Over the Years


Some of my earliest memories of Thanksgiving are of going to Grandpa Walker’s farm 4 ½ miles south of Garland for a big family dinner. In the late ‘30’s we went over to Bill Thompson’s which was the first time I had even eaten Turkey. Some years ago I compiled a listing of how we spent Thanksgivings from the time I started keeping a Diary in 1940. (I missed the years of ’45, ’46 &’47 when I didn’t have a Diary and in 1966 when my College studies took priority over writing every day.) Tomorrow will be my 69th recorded Thanksgiving. My (Our) activities have varied considerably over the years from the standard of going to Grandparents' houses. They include such things as: husking corn, hunting, sawing wood, putting pictures in albums, greasing the Whirlwind Terracer, seeing movies, putting on storm windows, watching football on TV, watching slides, singing, playing Ping-Pong, playing cards, sightseeing in Washington, D.C., going to Church, raking leaves, visiting Jon’s in western North Carolina in the Motor Home. And, we (I) flew to Hawaii, sang “Star of the East” with Vivian and Don, danced the “Flying Dutchman” to Dad’s accordion playing, Tim’s visited us in Ankeny, IA, looked at used vehicles on Rolfsmeier lot, Ben roasted the Turkeys, sent and received computer cards and messages, played with Jack (dog), played golf with Charlie, listed things on e-Bay, did Home Delivered Meals and watched part of Macy’s Christmas Parade. One of our most special Thanksgivings was in 1979 back in Virginia. My folks and Elaine’s Mother flew back to visit, and our boys and spouses were all home. ( Carolyn was due to deliver Julie in about 6 weeks so didn't get home) It was a beautiful warm day, and we had dinner out on the Deck. Dad enjoyed splitting wood, we tossed a football around, played horseshoes and had a great time. While our activities, location, family , etc. changed over the years, the one constant was Thanking God for our Many Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment