Friday, February 15, 2013

New Bicycle

Janice and Jerry were born on 1/21/37 and I believe this picture was taken in the fall of that year. I wore glasses during my 8th grade in country school but don't remember ever having them while in HS. I would have been 12 years old at the time of this picture, Vivian 13 1/2 and Donnie approaching 8. We got the new bike after wheat harvest. As I recall we got it on a Saturday night from the Gamble's store on the North side of the Square in Seward that was operated by Nick Ress. The tires were low and I pushed it the couple blocks over to Uncle Burt Walker's Sinclair Filling Station to get air. Our Model A Ford had a trunk that was used to get it home. We had a small knoll in our west yard at the farm which helped Vivian and I learn to ride. We first coasted down without pedaling to learn to balance and then added the pedaling. While Vivian and I were pretty big kids learning to ride a bike, we lowered the seat and handlebar down and Donnie learned soon after we did. Dad had a bike when he was a kid so it was not problem for him to ride but Mother had a bit of fun learning. She never did get comfortable riding because of starting to laugh and often "crashing". The bike was one of our first purchases after times began to get just a bit better.  

No comments:

Post a Comment