Monday, February 11, 2013

Family Roots & Sprouts

I was 2 years old when this picture was taken. I believe Dad took the picture with his Kodak camera while I was probably tugging at his pant leg. I have no memory of Great Great Grandmother Catherine Walker who died the following year. I was 8 years old when Great Grandmother Emma Carlson died. She was blind because of diabetes during her later years but a very kindly lady who tracked my growth by putting her hands on my shoulders each time we were together. My Grandpa William Walker was an "idol" who I spent time with as a youngster. I even rode on the bull-tongue of his grain binder to tap the laggard horses on the tail, while harvesting wheat. I was his oldest Grandson and was somewhat of a favorite but my younger Brother Don would tell you that he was # 1 with him because of their similarity in many ways. Mother Florence and Sister Vivian were both very influential in my early years and beyond. 
Here is our Daughter, Granddaughter and Great Granddaughter which is a continuation of the above picture (even if I'm not on either). All told it includes 8 generations of my family extending from Catherine's birth on 10/4/1833 to our Great Granddaughter who was born on 8/6/2012. There have been many changes during those nearly 180 years. My Grandfather was the first generation to drive an automobile, my Mother the first in the family to attend High School and enjoy radio, my generation was the first in the family to attend college, Carolyn's generation grew up with television, Julie with computers and we can only imagine what is in store for Sadie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment