Monday, February 18, 2013

Dr. Zhivago, Then & Now

We saw the Doctor Zhivago movie last night on TV. The full 200 minute film was shown with no commercials and only a very brief intermission. The movie was released in 1965 but we didn't see it until January 29, 1967. It was during the semester break from my senior year of classes at GWU. I was working more than half-time and carried 18 hours both semesters to fulfill the requirements for my BBA. I did write "It was one of the best movies I have ever seen". We enjoyed it as much last night as we did those 46 years ago. The sound track with Lara's Theme is most captivating. While the movie's "love story" was as enthralling as the first time we saw it, the story line with Bolshevist (Communist) overthrowing the autocracy of Tsar Nicholas II effected me much differently. Even with the country's unrest back in '67, it seems to me that we are much closer to "serious political unrest" in this Country today, than we were then. And, the build up of guns among our citizens adds to my concern. 

No comments:

Post a Comment