Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ash Wednesday

Elaine and I were invited to the Seward Women's Club meeting this afternoon where Betty Galen presented me with their Lifetime Volunteer Leader Award. I am not aware of the criteria for the award nor do I know their interpretation of "Lifetime", but believe they recognize someone in the community at least annually. In presenting the award, my many years on the City Council, Planning Commission, Kiwanis and Ketones were mentioned. My service has not been that special when compared with many people in the community. Our Fire Department, Rescue Squad, Senior Center, Youth Athletic programs, Youth Center, Food Net, Back Pack program, Home Delivered Meals, Scout programs, etc. wouldn't exist without volunteers. My humility was quickly brought back in shape by a malfunctioning garage door when we got home. Fortunately, Carolyn, Julie and Sadie stopped by just minutes after it happened. Carolyn helped me get it fixed before my going to the Bank Board meeting. Elaine helped take down our outdoor Christmas lights after I got home. So it was a good Ash Wednesday, even if we didn't get to Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment