Saturday, May 28, 2011

Energy to Spare


After playing 9 holes of golf and having lunch, I spent nearly 3 hours working in the yard this afternoon. Needless to say, I did stop to rest a few times. With the rain and cool weather, the grass had grown considerably since it was mowed a week ago but I was pleased to see the progress of my asparagus and sunflowers. Elaine has about given up on her radishes assuming that see planted them in the wrong time of the moon since they mostly went to tops. When I finally used up all my energy on the yard work this picture came into view. It was taken in the fall of 1946 when 5 of us fellows went on a trip down in the Ozarks. We had no particular destination but after “throwing a rod” in Bub's '37 Chevy, we enjoyed several days in Conway, Arkansas. This was “Old Town” Conway and not the metropolis it is today. We were fortunate in having a great mechanic get the engine repaired in a matter of 3-4 days. By that time we had spent most of our money and headed for home. We left early one morning, drove through Fort Smith and over to Oklahoma City. We were home early enough to go to a dance in Bee that evening. That was in September of 1946 and Elaine and I had our first date in October of that year. Oh to have some of the energy now that was “surplus” in those days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment