Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Rubber Horseshoes

I filled out a foursome to play Horseshoes this afternoon. The shoes were made of hard rubber and bounced around considerably. I started playing when I herded cows while growing up out on the farm with old shoes that had actually been on a horse. When I got to HS we had real horseshoes and several of the older boys were familiar with the game. I really got pretty good at it and bought me a set. I moved them to Lincoln, DC and back to Seward. I also took them over to Ankney where I set up some stakes down by the water drain. That was the last time that I played with them but did bring them along when we moved up here to Brookdale on 9/1/17 and kept them and stakes in the garage. I had spotted these rubber shoes  in the hall a couple days ago and Marv got me signed up to play today with Him, John, and Carl.
I should have known that tossing these rubber shoes would be altogether different than what I was used to, but just didn't realize how much. I threw a flat shoe with the cleats down and would plan to have it rotate one and a quarter turn on the way to the stake. Back in my "hay day" it wasn't to unusual to make two ringers in a row. I have found some golf balls and the little hole to capture the balls but still haven't come across my putter. As the weather warms up, I plan to make a more search of the garage and hopefully it will turn up. This experience today with horseshoes was depressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment