Monday, April 6, 2020

1986, A Good Year

Here is Vivian and Eddy Soucek when the AC, Bob Foster came to Eddy's retirement party. It was one of several local events that helped to make 1986 memorable. Gene Phillips had been detailed from SCS to help me with the development of a State Soil and Water Conservation Strategy. The Space Ship Challenger crashed on take-off killing 7 Astronauts. We enjoyed the Lincoln "High Flyer's" square dance club with Willard Nixon calling. I often worked on Saturday mornings at the Seward Ikes Recycle Center. Elaine and I sawed wood at the farm with the blocks going on the old SCS Pickup and backed into the attached garage . I had to "sweep" the Chimney to open it up. Jon had a meeting in Lincoln so he and Anna stayed with us. I spoke at the Water Conference in March. We enjoyed Easter Sunday down at Don & Gladys. I brought a Blue Spruce,  Japanese Magnolia and some Yews out to the Folks. Elaine worked to display "Church Symbols". I bought my first 10 lbs of Foundation Trailblazer Switch Grass Seed. We took Julie and Carolyn down to the Roca Berry Farm. Gaylen Bridge and Karen came out to visit. I visited with Arnold Davis at the National Windbreak Symposium in Lincoln, and with Rep. Virginia Smith at the dedication of the Calamus Dam.
On 7/26/86 We and Julie left with the Motorhome and VW for Oprey Land, Jon & Mary's at Oakland and Williamsburg. I got my "Fellow Award" at the SCSA meeting in Winstom Salem, NC. We visited Tim's on the way home. Bob Crosby helped me get the NE S & W Foundation established. We visited the 9-mile Prairie. Dad had his 90th birthday, and Carolyn looked at the N. 5th St. house. Kay Orr was elected Governor. Tim & Laura came to visit in late Nov. We flew down to McAllen, TX to visit friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment