Saturday, February 15, 2020

Hanging of The Sower

Here is a picture taken from the February issue of the Nebraskaland Magazine. The picture is dated April 24, 1934 and shows "The Sower" being hosted to the top of the  Nebraska State Capitol. I have passed the Magazine on to Vivian, a fellow resident here at Brookdale. Her Father, Henry Westerhoff was able to acquire the cupola from the earlier Capitol building and had it placed on the barn at the farm the family owned. Vivian was familiar with the story and like me, remembered seeing it. She has no idea of what may have happened to the old cupola when the barn was demolished. I remember  the Seward Independent ran a story on it back in the 1930's and of Dad pointing it out to me on our way to Seward. The farm was located a mile west of Garland and a bit north.
I had hoped to also include a picture of the Walker family that was taken in Lincoln during the Capitol construction but unable to get it moved to this computer. I've still got a lot to learn about this new one. The picture I had hoped to add was taken when my sister Vivian was a baby so I assume it was taken in 1925. I will see about adding it after I get the instruction book or my old laptop brought back up to speed. Some of these decisions will wait until Jon gets here next month.






No comments:

Post a Comment