Sunday, February 23, 2020

Cultivating Milo in 1983

This was taken of me in the spring of 1983 cultivating Milo with my JD 720 Diesel and 4-row cultivator. It's difficult to realize just how much pleasure I got out of being out there on the tractor "tilling the soil" after having spent the number of years (33) that I did working for the Soil Conservation Service in USDA. I was still working with the Nebraska Natural Resources Commission but was really enjoying the Nebraska Good Life of enjoying my work as well as my pleasure time. We had bought our house in Seward by this time and enjoyed our association with City friends as well as Country folks. On at least one occasion, I remember of stopping to visit with Willard Kilzer who owned the land adjacent to ours at the far end of these rows. Willard and I grew us as next door neighbors north of Garland and we were literally "life long friends". Pictures like this help in cooping with the aging process. It helps to know that if the picture had included just a bit more to the right it would have shown the Garland Tower. Where I'm at in the field is at the divide between the Upper Big Blue and the Lower Platte South Watersheds. The run-off water that flows to the right becomes part of Oak Creek and flows into the Missouri River south of Omaha. That run-off that goes to the left becomes a part of the Big Blue River  which flows into the Kansas River and into the Missouri River near Kansas City, MO

No comments:

Post a Comment